[Rivet] [Rivet-svn] r2720 - trunk/src/Projections

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 13:42:06 BST 2010

On 19/10/10 11:59, Frank Siegert wrote:
> 2010/10/19 Andy Buckley <andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk>:
>> On 19/10/10 10:23, blackhole at projects.hepforge.org wrote:
>>> Author: richardn Date: Tue Oct 19 10:23:23 2010 New Revision: 2720
>>>
>>> Log: if more than one W candiate take the one nearest to mW rather
>>> than throwing the event away. Brings Herwig++ NLO into agreement with
>>> D0_2000_S4480767 rather than being a factor of two low.
>>
>> Interesting: I based the W finder on the Z finder, for which I thought
>> that the rate of multiple candidates inside the mass window was
>> extremely low. This suggests that ~half of the W events lead to multiple
>> candidates: I'm surprised. And also the weight counting in that analysis
>> can't have been spot-on if vetoing multi-candidate events was affecting
>> the overall normalisation. Maybe worth changing ZFinder to have the same
>> behaviour, i.e. choose closest-to-mZ. Frank?
>
> D0_2000_S4480767 is one of the analyses which doesn't have a real mass
> window, but is corrected to the fully inclusive phase space. So this
> problem shouldn't be as critical for Z's (which will always have to
> have at least some kind of mass window), but I agree that it might be
> nicer to do it correctly. The question for me is just what to define
> as correctly... unfortunately the papers aren't very clear on their
> procedure and up to now I always thought that the difference is not
> noticeable. If it is as pronounced as the factor of 2 that Peter
> found, we should probably be careful simply switching all of them to
> the "nearest mass" procedure, shouldn't we?

Good point ;) I was again relying on the vague memory that you had done
some testing and the effect was very small. Probably because of the mas
windowing. I think that the Z and W finders should do the same thing --
or possibly have a re-settable config flag to choose the strategy. And
we should make sure that the final normalisation is not affected by
this: without a mass window I'm not surprised that there are
duplicates... probably *miles* away from the W mass! Any other W
analyses without a mass window, or is this an isolated incident? Peter
has already changed the WFinder default, as the commit message indicates.

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.