[Rivet] API change again?

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 10:38:57 BST 2010

On 07/07/10 10:22, David Grellscheid wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Has the API really changed _again_? What do I need to do now other than
>
>    _rivet->setCrossSection(generator()->integratedXSec()/picobarn);
>    _rivet->finalize();
>    _rivet->tree().commit();
>
> to get the AIDA files actually saved?

I didn't think we had actually changed anything there, but the
tree().commit() thing was never meant to be the public API method for
writing out the histograms. This is best done with

_rivet->writeData(filename);

I don't think we've changed this, since our API consistency test has
kept working.

There is also a commitData() function which writes out to the filename
provided in the AnalysisHandler constructor, if it was called that way,
but both that constructor and function (and all the AIDA tree and
factory functions) are deprecated -- they will diappear when AIDA does.

The test/testApi.cc file is a reasonable template for the user API -- at
some point I will add a section to the manual to cover this.

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh