[Rivet] Rivet 1.2.0 validation and release plan

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 5 15:47:55 GMT 2010

On 05/01/10 09:49, David Grellscheid wrote:

>> ---
>> #! /usr/bin/env bash
>> ## In CDF_1990_S123456-Pythia6.sh
>> NEVT=10000
>> if [[ "$1" ]]; then
>>     let NEVT="$NEVT*$1"
>> fi
>> agile-runmc Pythia:6421 -p MSEL=2 -n $NEVT -o hepmc.fifo
>> ---
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> If rather than a scaling factor, you can supply the desired number of events on the command line, why not simply use
>
> #! /usr/bin/env bash
> ## In CDF_1990_S123456-Pythia6.sh
> agile-runmc Pythia:6421 -p MSEL=2 -n ${1:-10000} -o hepmc.fifo
>
> This will use $1 if it exists, otherwise will use 10000 as the default value.

Neat, I'd forgotten that one. I think that it's useful to have a
reference scale for each analysis, though, as the typical number of
events varies by several orders of magnitude. But I'm happy to be
luddite in the interests of getting this finished. Any other comments?

(FYI, my last effort at framework building was a script-builder which
took its information about numbers of events etc. from the analysis
metadata. The missing link was a way to specify processes in metadata in
a way that the framework could use. I now suspect that this just can't
be done nicely, but maybe the other aspects of that approach still have
some merit...)

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh