[Rivet] Sherpa+Rivet: m_io->fill_next_event fails

Eike von Seggern jan.eike.von.seggern at physik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 9 18:41:41 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 18:06 +0100, Eike von Seggern wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 15:42 +0000, Andy Buckley wrote:
> > Frank Siegert wrote:
> > > Frank Siegert, Thursday 26 November 2009:

> > > Actually, I've just tested it, and it doesn't stall, but the analysis
> > > isn't going to work for Babar events, since it looks at 2*"mean beam
> > > momentum" instead of sqrt(s). This isn't the same for asymmetric beams.
> >
> > Eike/Frank, does this now work with the updated analysis? If so, then I
> > guess this *is* a problem with HepMC I/O. Why asymmetric beams would
> > lead to a HepMC read fail I have no idea... but it's possible, and looks
> > increasingly probable.
>
> Yepp, I still get this with the current Rivet HEAD. So I think this is
> either Sherpa's fault or HepMC itself. But most likely HepMC, because
> writing out something without an error or anything strange and then not
> being able to read in the data afterwards looks to me that way.
>
> I'll try this now with example code to check that it's not Rivet's
> fault.

Okay, it's not a Rivet problem and it's not a problem with asymmetric
beams either. I've attached a tool that just reads in HepMC and prints
out the event numbers.

(run){
  EVENTS = 100

  FILE_SIZE = 100000
  EVENT_MODE=HepMC
  HEPMC2_GENEVENT_OUTPUT = fails
}(run)

(beam){
  BEAM_1 = 11
  BEAM_ENERGY_1 = 9.0
  BEAM_2 = -11
  BEAM_ENERGY_2 = 9.0
}(beam)

(processes){
  Process 11 -11 -> 93 93
  CKKW pow(10,-2.25);
  Order_EW 2;
  End process;
}(processes)

(model){
  ORDER_ALPHAS = 0
  ALPHAS(MZ) = 0.127
}(model)

(me){
  ME_SIGNAL_GENERATOR = Internal Comix
}(me)

Adding another parton to the outgoing particles, i.e. appending "93{1}" to
the end of the Process line, fixes this and I can read in all events!

So it's either HepMC or Sherpa. Frank do you have an idea what could go wrong
here?

tschuess
    eike