[Rivet] Warning: change to analysis loader!

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at durham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 22:32:11 BST 2009

Hi Riveters,

Be careful about updating Rivet SVN at the moment: today I made some
major commits which break backwards compatibility and will probably
interact unhappily with existing installations.

The changes consist of a new analysis plugin loader system which reduces
the boilerplate code required when writing an analysis (including
removing the need for analysis header files), and also make it easier to
split the plugin analyses into multiple per-expt libraries. The new
loader system now only loads plugin libraries of the form Rivet*.so,
(i.e. the old name lib*Rivet*.so won't be loaded) and the loading
mechanism and API are completely different. The AnalysisLoader package
also changed, so the bundled pyext files will break: for now, please
either use HepMC 2.5, for which I've done the update, or delete the
rivet_wrap.cc* and rivet.py* files.

So be careful with the update, let me know about any problems, and I
hope you'll enjoy the new system once the smoke clears ;)

Dr Andy Buckley
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh