[Rivet] Event subsample analysis

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at durham.ac.uk
Mon Aug 17 14:15:11 BST 2009

Hi Riveters,

I have been playing around with an idea which I'd like to get some input
for. I would like to be able to run the analysis separately for different
subsamples of the events (and of course one total for all events). Use
case: To better understand a ME+PS merging sample one typically wants to
see the sub contributions from events where the matrix element generated N
jets, which then should add up to the total in histograms.
To test without too much steering work I have used a direct Sherpa-Rivet
interface which initialises multiple Rivet analysis handlers (kudos! to
the clean static-less structure that allows me to do this). Each of them
then gets a different event sample to analyze, in this example according
to ME jet multiplicity.

For "normal" histograms, i.e. the ones which are not scaled using an
internal event counter, there is only one small addition needed, to make
this work. AnalysisHandler needs to know the total sum of weights (instead
of using the one that it has counted from the events passed to it). This
will make things like
  scale(hist, crossSection()/sumOfWeights());
just work.

For histograms which are scaled using an internal event counter, e.g.
  scale(hist, 1.0/_sum_of_weights_Z_inclusive)
or even normalised to a fixed number,
  normalize(hist, 1.0)
the result will look different, the subhistograms don't add up to the
total anymore. I don't see any way around this and would argue, that in
such cases the only conclusion one can/should draw from the subsample
histos is about their shape.

Are there any comments or objections to this feature? For the time being,
I would only like to add a setSumOfWeights() method to the
AnalysisHandler, so that I can use this feature from my external
interface. Do we want to make it available through bin/rivet as well, can
somebody think of a use case where this would be useful? I guess if the
generator is able to produce separate event samples for the different jet
multiplicities (Alpgen?) this might be usable. But I myself would only
want to use it through the comfort of my direct interface, so I don't
care.

Frank