[Rivet] Rivet issues with Genser libraries

Alberto Ribon ribon at mail.cern.ch
Mon Jan 28 11:01:21 GMT 2008

  Hi Andy,

  after some discussion with Witek and some thinking, I can
  give you my point of view.

  First, I think that the Rivet community (both developers
  and users) is an important "client" for the LCG Generator
  Services, and therefore we consider seriously your requests.

  Second, I think that we, LCG Generator Services, should try
  to work together with the Rivet developers to make the
  Genser building machinery more general and robust.
  I agree with you that autoconf is probably the right solution.

  The hand-written shell scripts, that are currently used in
  Genser for those generators that do not come with their own
  building machinery, were, in my opinion, the right solution
  when the new structure of Genser was put in place and the main
  priority was to deliver the libraries as soon as possible to
  the LHC experiments. These scripts have achieved their goal
  and the experiments were satisfied.
  However, for a more general usage, as Rivet showed, these
  scripts are not enough, and keep improving them seems to me
  a difficult and likely too ambitious activity.

  Moving to a new system based on autoconf seems to me the
  right thing to do at this stage, especially because we do
  not need to start from scratch, taking advantage of the
  experience, and assistence/help that you, Rivet developers,
  are willing to give us.

  To be concrete, I would propose, as Witek already suggested,
  to start with the two main Fortran generators, Pythia and
  Herwig. If you can send us your building structure based on
  autoconf for these two generators we can start to have a look
  and to play with.

  Let's keep in touch,
                       Alberto