[Rivet] Rivet release: this week!?!

James Monk jmonk at fnal.gov
Mon Feb 4 18:53:55 GMT 2008

On 4 Feb 2008, at 13:17, Andy Buckley wrote:

> * Class-slicing breaks projection polymorphism (say that fast 10
> times!) Fix: projection member variables -> pointers. Status?

I've "fixed" it for the sole case of FastJets + VetoedFinalState (by
using a pointer for the FinalState - the long-term fix will be to
merge FinalState with VetoedFinalState).  Are there any other cases of
this?

> * A couple of projection bugs: James just reported a problem with the
> jets projection compare() method, and I've been seeing a similar (?)
> problem with ChargedFinalState deleting itself early.

I think that turned out to be because I was using the wrong reference
to a projection (one should always use the reference returned by the
Event.applyProjection method).  Once I started using a pointer to the
FinalState in FastJets then the compare method seems to work as
intended.  I also saw some weird behaviour in the Particle and/or
FourVector classes where data would appear to change after the
momentum was accessed (like the accessor was only calculating a
quantity properly on the second call or something), but I can no
longer replicate it so consider it anecdotal for now.

> * HepMC version on AFS blocks super-simple use at CERN/wherever AFS is
> available (I've been updating the bootstrap script to use the LCG
> copies
> if available).
> * Composite particle veto implementation?

Composite particle veto is in, although it depends on ATLAS' fix to
HepMC being installed (which Lynn said would be officially released on
Tuesday).  The veto on a given mass combination works for me (without
the HepMC patch), although I'm not sure how my combinatorics will
scale up if you combine many more than two particles ;)  (to be fair,
I'm not sure it could ever scale).  I'd like it if people who
requested this feature could check it is useful in the cases they are
looking at.