[Rivet] HepMC Python module

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at durham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 14:00:43 GMT 2008

Frank Siegert wrote:
> Frank Siegert, Friday 05 December 2008:
>> 2. Have it as a standalone package.
>>    + Clean solution, available for all packages.
>>    - Package maintainance for one simple Python module.
>>    - Rivet/AGILe will depend on yet another external package.
>
> Andy decided that he favours this option.
>
> I have packaged hepmc-python and patched the rivet-bootstrap script to
> optionally allow building the python extensions for Rivet and AGILe, but
> by default they will remain disabled for now.
> The attached patch contains these changes including the installation of
> the hepmc-python package (taken from my website here, but with the final
> commit I'll wait til Andy puts it online somewhere).

I'm just rewriting the build system for this package to split apart the
event viewer and the Python HepMC module, and to use the normal Python
module registration/installation/build system, e.g.
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=hepmc
This is almost done and I'll put a tarball online (at
users.hepforge.org/~buckley) once I'm done.

James, what happened to the use of the new Python m4 macros that you
trialled while at CERN? I thought that had been committed? (I'd like to
get that implemented across the HepMC, AGILe and Rivet packages before
release, even though the Python interface won't be enabled by default)

Dr Andy Buckley
Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology
Durham University
0191 3343798 | 0191 3732613 | www.insectnation.org