[Rivet] Sherpa fails to run on batch system - solved?

Holger Schulz holger.schulz at physik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 28 15:29:25 BST 2008

Holger Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently experiencing some trouble trying to run Sherpa via
> rivet on the DESY batch farm.
> It's again something with loading libraries.
>
> There are no problems with Pythia6, it works if I want to run jobs
> interactively and if I submit them
> to the batch farm (PBS).
>
> However, submitting Sherpa-jobs using rivet to the batch-farm
> segfaults, though interactive jobs work smoothly.
>
> Both, the interactive machines and the batch farm ones are of the type
> sl5_amd64_gcc41.

Hi again,

this problem is very likely to be related to LHAPDF of version 5.5.0
For some reason AGILe is unable to load libLHAPDF.so if the Sherpa job
is issued to the batch farm whilst LHAPDF of version 5.5.0 is installed.
However, running the same job interactively works just fine with
libLHAPDF.so being successfullty loaded by AGILe.

This behaviour appears to be independent of Sherpa being configured
with --enable-lhapdf or not.

So uninstalled LHAPDF 5.5.0 and installed LHAPDF 5.3.1 instead and now
this problem is gone.

Holger