[Rivet] HepMC static

James Monk jmonk at fnal.gov
Tue Oct 16 16:54:16 BST 2007

Hi Riveteers,

The version of HepMC that we are distributing at Cedar only builds a
static library on OS X, which is obviously going to cause some
problems for RivetGun dynamic loading.  I've modified the HepMC build
script to make a dynamic library as well and everything seems to be
fine (once again, only OS X >= v3). I'll put that version of HepMC in
the Cedar downloads area (still the same version 2.02.00), which you
will need to install if you want to run Rivet on OS X (is anyone else
using it?).  Nothing changes on Linux, obviously.  Should I notify
the HepMC developers that they need to make this change in all future
releases, or do we make the release anyway?

I also found out that the  libAGILe*Mod.so files that RivetGun builds
are not useful (get a bus error when trying to dlopen them).  The
solution to this was to build them as dylibs like everything else by
removing the -module linker flag and then they seem to work.  I'll
commit a change for this shortly and hopefully that will be the end
of this .dylib/.so saga.

cheers,

James