[Rivet] pluggable analyses?

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at durham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 11:33:36 GMT 2007

Lars Sonnenschein wrote:
> Hello all
> as promised to Mikhail
> I tried the description according to the web, to plug in a user analysis.
>
> It is working fine the "easy way" which is explained there first.
> (this means adding the new analysis to the existing Rivet.so shared
> library and adding it's name to the StdAnalyses code)
>
> But when I try the way to get the analysis linked into an external library
> the newly created shared library, including the analysis and the necessary
> piece of code from the StdAnalyses file, the new user analysis is not
> available under the Rivet/Gun help options.
>
> Even if I put the additional shared library into the global lib path,
> where I have all the libraries (Rivet, RivetGun, Pythia etc.)
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Can somebody please confirm that it is working for her/him?

Well, it works for me, otherwise it wouldn't be in there! I'd need
proper debug information to work out why it doesn't work for you.
Without knowing what environment variables exist, whether you've
provided the factory builder function, what the name of the external lib
is, etc. I can't be very helpful! For example, try running rivet (not
rivetgun) with LD_DEBUG=libs, e.g.

LD_DEBUG=libs rivet -h

This will give you information on all the library loading attempts made
by the executable. You might also want to try (temporarily) putting a
debug cout into the AnalysisLoader functions to see which directories
and libraries are being scanned.

At the risk of being obvious, I assume your library has an appropriate
name, i.e. libRivet*.so? And you've tried setting the
RIVET_LIBRARY_PATH? (check the name... I think that's right but no
guarantee)