[PyFeyn] PyFeyn error with fd.draw

Georg von Hippel hippel at uni-mainz.de
Tue Jun 7 08:48:09 BST 2016

Hi,

this is a perpetual annoyance with PyX -- it does not provide a stable
API, and every time they publish a new version, new workaround code is
needed.

Pyfeyn works with 0.12.x and 0.13.x, but apparently 0.14.x breaks yet
another interface (specifically normpath_selfintersections, which appears
to require an additional argument). This will need yet another workaround.
Ugh.

>From the name of the required argument eps_comparepairs, I suspect it may
be enough to replace the "epsilon=0.01" with simply "0.01" on line 522 of
lines.py in order to make the code run (quite possibly with all version of
PyX), but that needs checking.

Best,

    Georg

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, George S. Williams wrote:

> Hey, Ian,
>
> Sorry you're having a problem with PyFeyn. I think the problem is actually
> with PyX- they change an API and any code that relied on that API call from a
> previous version is broken. We've had that problem in the past.
>
> Would you please let us know which versions of PyX and PyFeyn you have
> installed?
>
> Thanks,
> George
>

> On 6/6/2016 12:20 PM, Ian Brock wrote:
>> Dear PyFeyn,
>>
>> I get an error when trying to run the first PyFeyn test file:
>> python pyfeyn-test1.py
>> /usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hepnames/hepnicenames.sty
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "pyfeyn-test1.py", line 26, in <module>
>> fd.draw("pyfeyn-test1.pdf")
>>   File
>> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyfeyn/diagrams.py",
>> line 70, in draw
>>     c = self.drawToCanvas()
>>   File
>> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyfeyn/diagrams.py",
>> line 62, in drawToCanvas
>> obj.draw(self.currentCanvas)
>>   File
>> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyfeyn/lines.py",
>> line 522, in draw
>>     ass, bs, cs = para.normpath_selfintersections(mypath.normpath(),
>> epsilon=0.01)
>> TypeError: normpath_selfintersections() missing 1 required positional
>> argument: 'eps_comparepairs'
>>
>> I am using Python3.5 installed via Macports.
>> I installed PyX and PyFeyn via pip. This worked without any error messages.
>> I tested hepnames in test file and it works fine.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Ian
>>
>> *Ian C. Brock* | Physikalisches Institut, Universität Bonn | Nußallee 12 |
>> D-53115 Bonn
>> Tel. +49 228 733616 | Email: brock at physik.uni-bonn.de
>> <mailto:brock at physik.uni-bonn.de>

> ---

  PD Dr. Georg von Hippel
  Institut für Kernphysik                 Office: 01-226 (Neubau)
  Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz    Phone:  +49 6131 39-22933
  Johann-Joachim-Becher-Weg 45            Fax:    +49 6131 39-22964
  55099 Mainz                             Email:  hippel at kph.uni-mainz.de
  Germany                                 wwwth.kph.uni-mainz.de/1205.php