[EvtGen] Continuum Background Model

John Back J.J.Back at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 18:17:57 GMT 2018

Hello,

The JSCONT model has been discontinued since it uses JetSet/Pythia6, and
EvtGen only supports Pythia8; we need to update the documentation to
mention this.

However, I think you will be able to generate the events you want by
using a Pythia 8 decay mode which generates onium to 3 gluons, or 2
gluons and a photon, and hadronises them:

Decay vpho
1.0 g g g PYTHIA 92;
Enddecay

or

Decay vpho
1.0 gamma g g PYTHIA  92;
Enddecay

where vpho is the (parent) virtual photon. Since this has zero mass, you
need to define its energy to the e+e- beam energy (per event). For
example, in your C++ program where you call EvtGen you need to do
something like:

// Define virtual photon parent particle 4-momentum (GeV)
double E0 = 10.8;
EvtVector4R pInit(E0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

EvtParticle* theParent = EvtParticleFactory::particleFactory(theId, pInit);
// Vector particle spin
if (theParent->getSpinStates() == 3){theParent->setVectorSpinDensity();}

// Generate the event
evtGen.generateDecay(theParent);

See validation/genRootDecayChain.cc and
validation/UpsilonFiles/UpsilonTo3g.dec as examples.

 From the old JSCONT model documentation, the angular distribution of
the jet was 1 + cos^2Theta. I don't think this will be done for the new
way shown above.

Another limitation is that you can't specify the quark content of the
virtual photon decay; all quarks are allowed, and the integer parameter
used for the JSCONT model to define the quark flavour can't be used anymore.

If you find that the generated events contain problems, or the wrong
physics content, then we can try to see if we can convert and upgrade
the JSCONT model to work in Pythia 8, although this will not be an easy
nor quick process.

Regards,
	John.