[Blackmax] FW: Running BlackMax at 8 TeV failed

Marc Cano Bret marc.bret.87 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:03:16 GMT 2015

Hi Shaoqi,

I have been doing some testing. In the computer I am using I could not
compile both Pythia 6.4.28 and LHAPDF 6.1.5 (the versions you are using),
so I am using Pythia 6.4.28 and LHAPDF 5.3.0, the version quoted in the
README with which BlackMax was tested. Now, using the same parameter.txt,
but changing the PDF value to 10000 (MSTW2008 is not available in the
LHAPDF version I use) file you sent Prof. Issever I can generate all the
events without any errors. Hence, I can suggest a few things:

   1. If you want to carry on using the same LHAPDF with the MSTW2008
   pdfset, you could try generating events in batches of 1000, avoiding the
   crash. I haven't reproduced the problem just yet, but the crashing problem
   seems to come from Pythia rather than BlackMax and at the moment I don't
   know a way around it.
   2. I have also tried generating events without Pythia's instant
   hadronization, and that works fine too. Hence, instead of compiling by
   doing "gmake all" you can use "gmake BlackMax". With this option, the code
   will anyway generated a .lhe file which you can feed to Pythia.
   3. You can move to the same LHAPDF version I have used, changing your
   PDF in the process, which seems to work fine.

Sorry I can't solve the issue at the moment, but I am having my thesis
defence soon, after that perhaps we can talk more at length. Hope that
helps for the moment.

Best,

Marc