[Rivet] rivet requires the 'rivet' Python module

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 13:38:08 BST 2010

On 19/10/10 12:17, Hendrik Hoeth wrote:
> Thus spake Albert Knutsson (albert.knutsson at desy.de):
>
>> Aha, ok! But there is no lib64 directory under Rivet... Do you have an
>> idea how to fix it?
>
> It doesn't matter at all how the directories are called. You can in
> principle name them after your favourite baseball team. What does matter
> is which toolchain you are using, or what options you pass to gcc/g++.
> Right now you seem to be using a 32-bit setup for you compilation:
>
>> /build/knutsson/testBuild/tmp/slc5_ia32_gcc434/[...]
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Use something that's called *amd64* or *x86_64* and recompile.

Incidentally, if that tag is meant to be connected to picking up
packages from the LCG/Genser areas, note that that platform tag format
was phased out with SLC4: the new LCG format is more easily
automatically computed from uname etc., and would be i686-slc5-gcc43-opt
for 32 bit, and x86_64-slc5-gcc43-opt for 64 bit.

> To learn
> more about multilib environments, http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64/
> is a good reader.

Any bits in particular, Hendrik? This looks interesting, but as I don't
intend to build LFS (cross-compiled or otherwise) in the near future, a
pointer at any particularly enlightening bits about cross-compilation of
32/64 bit would be nice. (And might make my life easier re. 32 bit Rivet
builds for Genser!)

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh