[Rivet] aida2root

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 12:40:35 BST 2009

Emily Nurse wrote:
> Dear Riveters,
>
> We are having problems converting aida files to ROOT files on the UCL
> hep cluster. The problem is in the way PyROOT is installed so is
> obviously a UCL problem but along the way we saw a couple of other
> problems with the aida2root script.
>
> Firstly should the line:
>
> if os.has_key("ROOTSYS")
>
> actually be
>
> if os.environ.has_key("ROOTSYS")
> ?

Thanks. I fixed that in SVN earlier today, when James drew my attention
to it. Update the code and you'll get the fix.

> Secondly we find the warning message:
>
> "Couldn't find ROOT module. If ROOT is installed, you probably have
> PyROOT installed as well."
>
> confusing, what is this trying to tell us? That it can't find either
> ROOT or PyROOT?

The confusion is because PyROOT is imported as a module called "ROOT"...
I guess that's not so clear if you haven't used it. SO what the message
means is "I couldn't find PyROOT... but if you have ROOT installed then
you probably also have PyROOT, just not set up properly. So sort your
system out ;)" The error message now says something along those lines,
only a (little) bit more polite. It also tries to guess the PyROOT path
and tell you what to set, if $ROOTSYS is set.

Dr Andy Buckley
Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology
Durham University
0191 3343798 | 0191 3732613 | www.insectnation.org